Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Examination of All Things Texas

For the few that do not know, I have always wanted to live in Texas.

Reason: My dad was born in Texas and their slogan is "Don't mess with Texas." You can't beat that.

I also was almost born in Texas. I believe I missed it by a matter of weeks. I have never forgiven myself. I use to say I was a Texan at heart. I was a Texan who had never been home.

Well, like a prodigal child, I have come home and was greeted graciously with indescribable wind, raging heat, $500 power bills and... cockroaches.

Sometimes things should be left to the imagination.

In my vivid mind's eye I had always seen tall, muscular cowboys in typical garb riding horses through the dirt or pebble stone streets of town after a long day of herding cattle. They would humbly say, "howdy ma'am" as they passed me and the other lady's as we swayed delicately in long ruffled and laced dresses and bonnets.

As I have come to realize, these images are not current. It was in Wal-Mart that I finally saw an authentically dressed cowboy. He was in his forties to early fifties, cowboy boots and hat, a worn, padded jean vest about an inch thick over a long sleeve shirt and all leather accessories. By his side was his wife in blue jeans and a white, sleeveless, button-up shirt, no make-up and sun-baked skin. Two boys roamed close by respectfully and not at all rowdy like the other children. All looked like they had just crawled out from under a barn, covered from head to toe in dust. Their clothes were well abused and dirty from the obvious long hours of laborious work.

I couldn't help but smile to myself. It had been months since we had moved to Texas and nothing so far had resembled even slightly what I had imagined it as.

After filling my shopping cart to its full capacity, I checked out and headed for the parking lot. I walked through the 100 degree, late evening heat. Fought the violent wind as I loaded bags of groceries into the truck. Drove home to kill a rogue cockroach feasting on counter crumbs; and did all with a skip in my step.

For I finally felt like I was really in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment