Tuesday, December 7, 2010

PATENT PENDING

My husband is an inventor. He has an extensive pallet of interests in this field but most revolve around new and innovative forms of energy, transportation, weaponry and communication. He is brilliant and I often find myself being inspired to invent (or at least hypothesize) as well!

Well, he calls it ADD and it usually involves me interrupting his detailed explanation of whatever he is working on to excitedly present my own. This, I am sure, gets frustrating for him, but he takes it well and usually spends about 30 seconds quickly and gently debunking me theory.

Like this morning, for example. As he was drawing many a fascinating squiggles and variously angled lines to assist in describing the functions of his theoretical device, I had a brilliant, world changing epiphany regarding renewable (or dare I say "free") energy.

He paused to hear out my amazing discovery. It is as follows:

I suggested creating a bowl shaped reservoir with a wall (like a dam) straight across along its diameter. One side of the "bowl" would be filled to the top with water while the other side is empty. Then to create energy in the same a way a dam would, just open a door at the base of the dam and let the water flow in until that side is full. Then repeat in reverse! You wouldn't have to rely on weather, but just reuse the same water over and over again.

Well, Adam quickly explained to me (in simple picture form to hold my attention) why that would not work. As I'm sure you have figured out, letting out the water from one side would only fill up the other side until the two levels of water are even, therefore creating basically a giant swimming pool rather than a renewable energy source.

Even in the wake of my deflated discovery, I have pressed onward, certain that soon one of my ideas will make it past my first level of peer review (aka: Adam).

And one has! Its slightly more selfish then my search for a free energy source, but in the spirit of capitalism, I think its an untapped source of incredible wealth. It came to me as Adam was describing someone's idea for a massive solar energy plant. With great charisma my sudden epiphany grabbed me by the brain and shook me until I took heed of its incredible possibilities. With all this interest in finding environmentally friendly forms of renewable energy (like solar, wind, etc.) comes a huge financial opportunity to take advantage of!

Which is: I need to claim the sun.

Its brilliant. All organizations, corporations and governments utilizing the sun's benefits will then be required to pay me royalties.

All I need now is a nonflammable flag and an auto piloted rocket.

All Rights Reserved

1 comment: